October 7, 2012

Villahermosa to San Cristobal, Mexico


I got early start to the day, due to the fact I had plans to see the ruins at Palenque.  It was about a 2 hour ride to Palenque, and I only gave myself 1 hour to take photos.  I negotiated with an English speaking tour guide (Jose) for a quick 1 hour guide for $20 US.  Palenque is a great historic site, and I managed to get some nice photos while learning about the Myans.  I got back on the road, and started my way south through the mountains, of which I am beginning to dislike, due to all of the topes (speed bumps).  There must have been at least 300 topes along the way to San Cristobal. During my travels, I ran into another motorcycle adventure traveler from the USA, his name was Ratbike Mike.  We sat and had a cup of coffee and talked for a while, he was headed to Palenque.   Around 6:00 PM, I arrived at San Cristobal, which was extremely cold, and I checked into the first hotel I found for about $20 US.  At first glance San Cristobal was not impressive, but after I took a half a mile walk from my hotel to the center of the city…I was amazed.   This city seemed to have the most colonial buildings that I had seen thus far.  The city center was full of people enjoying their evening activities, shopping, bars, parks, live music…it was fantastic, but cold.  I really enjoyed San Cristobal for my one night stay.


































Ratbike Mike







No comments: