October 10, 2012

Nowhere, Guatemala to Antigua, Guatemala


Headed out early from my $8 US hotel on 6OCT12, and had great ride through the mountains.  I could not have asked for a more perfect day to ride, blue sunny skies, cool temperature, and those crazy Guatemalan buses.  Those bus drivers have to be the craziest drivers in the world.  They were passing me every chance they got, and I truly believe they were trying to race me.  I followed the signs to Antigua, and finally arrived at 11: 00 AM.  I rode around and found a smoothie shop, while at the shop I ran into an American restaurant/art gallery owner named Alexander Ferrar.  Alexander’s restaurant/art gallery is called Sobremesa (which is great).  He and I quickly began discussing the city, and became good friends.  Alexander also helped me find a great hotel (Hotel Volcanos) in the central part of the city that offered a decent price of $40 US.  Antigua is a colonial city very similar to San Cristabol, Mexico.  I liked this city so much, I decided to stay until 13OCT12 to take a week long Spanish class.  I am in class Monday – Friday from 8AM to 12PM, and I feel it will very beneficial for the remainder of my journey.  After class, I usually walk the city and take pictures.  Antigua is a tourist town, full of Americans who seem afraid to say hello to me…go figure!  Right now, 10OCT12 it is 8:30 PM, and I am in the Rainbow Café eating soup, and enjoying a live local band.  My plan on Saturday is to ride across the border to El Salvador.

Alexander owner of Sobremesa

Sobremesa

Sobremesa


Every street is like this!
























No comments: