October 8, 2012

San Cristobal, Mexico to I don’t know where the hell I am, Guatemala


I departed San Cristobal early with the intent to cross the Mexican-Guatemalan border, and spend a night in the Guatemalan border town called Le Mesilla.  Along the way, in Comitan, Mexico, I ran into another motorcycle adventure traveler (I forgot his name) from England who has been traveling for the past 11 months.  We arrived at the border and went through the Mexican Customs and Immigrations, and the Englishman disappeared.  He had been having trouble starting his bike, so I guess he we to go have the issue sorted before he entered Guatemala.  So, I pressed on and entered Guatemala solo, and made a terrible assumption that Guatemala would have as many modern cities as Mexico.  I rode until dusk through the mountains waiting to find a modern city…it did not happen.  It was getting dark and had started to rain, I was approximately 3 hours away from Guatemala City, and I knew I had to stop and find a hotel.  I stopped at a gas station, and got hotel directions and bedded down for the night at the cost of $8 US.  The room was not fancy, but it was a true blessing…riding in the mountains at night would be pure suicide!

Me at the border

Hotel guy who saved my life

Guatemala mountain view





No comments: