October 18, 2012

La Libertad, El Salvador to Granada, Nicaragua


I got an 8:00 AM start leaving La Libertad and decided to cross through both Honduras borders in the same day.  I arrived at the El Salvador and Honduras border at 12:00 PM, and ran into the usual two helpers that try to rip every motorcycle traveler off.  I discussed with them a price of $10 US for their services.  I also stated that I knew them from the Internet, knew the true cost to cross the border, and that they had a bad reputation via the Internet.  Their tone change quickly, and I had no further trouble out of them for the border crossing.  While at the border, Honduras did not look like a very safe place.  My gut was telling me to not stop/sleep in this country.  Trash was everywhere, and the roads were full of potholes, so I decided to press on to the Nicaraguan border before the sunset.  I made through the Nicaraguan border, and stayed in the border town of Somotillo for the night.  Stayed at an $8 US hotel, and it served its purpose, but sleep did not come easy.  I got another 8:00 AM start, and made my way toward Granada through Managua.  I arrived in Managua at noon, and had to ask directions to Granada, which everyone I asked was very helpful.  By 1:30 PM, I arrived in Granada and ten minutes later it started to pour down with sheets of rain.  I took refuge at an ice cream shop, and waited for the rain to stop.  Managed to find a hotel…$20 US, I will stay for two nights, it is OK and I have no complaints.  Granada looks to be a laid back city, and everyone seems to be very nice.  My plan is to cross into Costa Rica once I leave Granada.    

$8 hotel shower








































No comments: