September 25, 2012

Still Ridin’ Tampico, MX to San Luis Potosi, MX


My time in Tampico was rain filled and a little boring.  I found a hotel on the beach, which had seen better days.  I paid about $55 US, and was ready to leave the next day, but I decided to wait out the rain for another day.  The best thing in Tampico was a beach restaurant departed after the rain subsided, and headed to San Luis Potosi, Mexico.  It was a all day ride, it took me about 9 hours, which included all my stops to take pictures.  I also had my first Mexican Army, and Mexican Federal Police encounters, because later I was told I was “traveling through the heart” of the drug traffic area.  The ride was full of twist and turns through the Sierra Madres Mountains, with elevation that reached over 8,000 feet.  I kept thinking the whole time, “Badges, we don’t need no stinking badges”!  It was fun, but I lost track of time, and I was trying to beat the nigh fall and the rain.  (I did manage to get some photos.)  I finally arrived in San Luis Potosi around 7:00PM, and tried to find a quick hotel, I like a fool stopped at the Courtyard by Marriot…it cost $150 US per night…no way.  The front desk recommended a newly built hotel called the Ibis, which was right down the street.  Checked in for $40 US, and think I may stay awhile.  I got up this morning in San Luis to sort out some banking issues, and to find an unlocked pay as you go cell phone.  My debit card had been giving me an error when I tried withdraw funds (did not understand why I could not withdraw 5000 pesos).  Stopped at a Mexican bank to see if they were the problem, but come to find out, it was my US bank’s issue.  I placed a call to my bank and they raised my daily withdraw limit…problem sorted.  I am still trying to get that unlocked cell phone, I was told I can get one downtown. (headed that way tomorrow)  In speaking with the hotel staff, there may be a bull fight soon…I would love to see that event!  Right now I am just in the hotel lobby relaxing, and will start my search for dinner.     


























       


No comments: