September 8, 2012

New Color, New Dimension, New Value

THE MISSION/PLAN: Sell 98% of everything I own and take a 2 year trip from Atlanta, GA to Central America (Panama).  I plan on spending most of my time in Panama, just seeing and doing whatever want.  I am a photography buff, and I would like to become better at that craft.  I have set aside some money to fund my trip, but also plan on trying to get some type of employment (maybe teaching English) while in Panama.  I will depart on 15SEP12, and take my time heading south, seeing what life has to offer in a different environment.

Me and my Doctor at my last physical in April 2012

Me at the job...just one week before I depart

Me at the health department getting all necessary shots


THE MOTIVATION: Tired of doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.  I am recently divorced and I have downsized my worldly possessions to six boxes, that is being stored at a good friends house.  Over the past two years I have had some low times, mother and sister passing away and other things I would rather not discuss.  So, last year I got this religious email from a friend:
Stir Up Your Dreams
“Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you...” (2 Timothy 1:6, NKJ)
Do you need some freshness in your life today? You may simply need to stir up what God has placed on the inside of you. Stir up those gifts, stir up those dreams, stir up those talents inside. Start stretching yourself. You were created to be a dreamer and pursue the desires God has placed in your heart.

These words are my motivation for the remainder of my life.  Instead of sitting at home and felling sorry for myself…I decided to stir things up!  I started reading all of the ride reports on the ADVrider.com and Horizons Unlimited, and then decided to get a motorcycle license (took the MSF training course) in July 2011.  In August 2011, I purchased the bike, started riding, and outfitted the bike for my Adventure.  Family and Friends thought I was crazy, and I just told them this is something I wanted to do, and nothing was going to stop me.

THE MAN: My name is Raymond, and I am 45 years old in decent physical/healthy condition.  I currently work for a small government contractor as the Director of Contracts.  It is a great job, but it is not what I want to do for the rest of my life.  As I mentioned previously, I am recently divorced and have no children.  So, right now, all I have now is to depend on and take care of myself.   

THE BIKE: 2011 Suzuki DL650 – I did extensive research on what bike would best suit me, and my type of Adventure.  I heard great things about the DL650, so I pulled the trigger.  I did not have to make any major modifications, just some modifications to make the bike fit me better.
Farkles:
(Yann D) Skidplate
(Yann D) Radiator guard
GIVI Crash Bars
SW Motech centerstand
Richland Ricks forkbrace
Richland Ricks mirror extenders
GPS mount
RAM GPS shortie GPS arm
Garmin 200W GPS
Twisted Throttle Footpeg lowering kit
ALTRider Large kickstand foot
Fenda Extenda
Speed bleeder valves for front brakes
MadStad  
Lighting LED Kit
Suzuki hand guards
Givi Trekker Luggage

No comments: